Online Store Hospitality Buy Tickets

Bunn scores again as City continue good form

5th December 2020
Match Result
York City Logo
York City
Chester FC Logo
Chester FC
Bootham Crescent
Saturday 5th Dec - 15:00

Goals from Harry Bunn and Akil Wright gave York City a 2-1 win over Chester to move up to 9th, with 5 games in hand on the league leaders Gloucester.

Bunn’s third goal of the season came from a short corner which led to a Scott Barrow shot at goal, deflecting off Bunn to nestle in the Chester net. Although they were pegged back through a Paddy Lacey goal in the 58th minute, an Akil Wright header from another corner gave City a big three points, despite some nervy final moments.

Manager Steve Watson was able to name an unchanged starting line-up from the 3-0 midweek victory at Blyth, with Rob Guilfoyle coming in for Alex Wollerton on the bench.

It was a frantic start to the game, with York going close within the opening minutes as a Scott Barrow cross looped high in the air and forced Louis Gray in the Chester goal to push it over.

Both sides had early chances, with City going the closest with a Harry Bunn header that hit the crossbar. Good defensive play from Woods allowed York to win the ball upfield, and after Redshaw spun past the defender he crossed to Bunn, who was unlucky to see his header hit the woodwork.

Meanwhile, Chester’s best early opportunities came from distance, with one from 30 yards which Jameson easily collected and another after some nice interplay on the edge of the York box, a Danny Elliott backheel which led to a blocked Paddy Lacey shot.

York again went close through Jack Redshaw, who saw his close-range shot saved at the near post after he was teed up by Akil Wright.

Chester replied with their best spell of the first half. Chester’s Paddy Lacey was starting to cause issues, and it was his incisive through ball to Danny Elliott that forced a smart save from the York City goalkeeper Pete Jameson. Seconds later, a Lacey cross somehow evaded everybody in the box as it begged to be sent goalwards.

Both goalkeepers had a good first half, and it was Louis Gray who made a brilliant save to deny Cassidy after a good move from the Minstermen. Dyson laid it through, and Cassidy’s shot was tipped over by Gray as it looked as if York would take the lead.

They did exactly that from the resulting corner. Dyson took a corner short to Scott Barrow on the left corner of the box, and the left-back fizzed a shot at goal. It went through a crowd of bodies, hitting Harry Bunn’s thigh as it deflected into the back of the net. York had the advantage after 31 minutes with Bunn’s third goal of the season.

This advantage was nearly squashed instantly, as a brilliant Pete Jameson save was needed after Chester striker Danny Elliott’s shot from the edge of the box looked to be swerving in. Jameson acrobatically leaped to his left in order to turn it over.

Paddy Lacey had the final real effort of the first half, as some nice interplay on the edge of the City box opened a gap to shoot. He really should have done better as he dragged it wide.

As darkness set in on an empty Bootham Crescent, it was York who nearly doubled their lead in the early exchanges of the second half. An Akil Wright long-range shot was blocked, with the ball falling to Redshaw. His cross was curled in, with Wright just not being able to get over his header. The ball sat up for Bunn, who took it nicely on his chest but fired his volley over.

Bunn was causing Chester lots of issues down the left, and some good work by him and Redshaw on the left led to a low cross, but a Chester defender just got to it before Michael Woods was able to get a shot off.

Approaching the hour mark, Chester got their equaliser. It was Lacey again who battled for the ball in the York box, and he found the space to send a good finish into the bottom corner, just out of reach of the diving Pete Jameson.

Steve Watson responded with two changes, taking Michael Woods and Jack Redshaw off and replacing them with Paddy McLaughlin and Reon Potts.

With twenty minutes remaining, York retook the lead through Akil Wright. A corner came over, Wright met it and his header crept into the side netting, with Chester’s Jamie Morgan on the line just unable to deflect it away from goal.

It was Morgan who nearly leveled the scores a few minutes later. Johnston played the ball into him as he ran onto it in the box, and his shot across goal inched past the left post. City could count themselves fortunate that their lead was intact.

That lead was threatened a couple more times before the full-time whistle blew. Dyson came off for Kennedy with ten minutes left, just after he went close with a shot at the near post which Gray saved.

Chester began to really pile on the pressure in the closing exchanges of the match. Firstly, it was Morgan who shot straight at Jameson, and then Waring who saw his header go wide.

Hoping to see out a good win and a good performance, York had a huge scare as Danny Elliott smashed the ball over the bar after a cross fell to him with minutes remaining in the game.

The Minstermen had to deal with a few final crosses, but they got the job done to give them their fourth league win of the season. The victory moves them up the table to 9th, although they still have 5 games in hand on the leaders Gloucester.

Jake Cassidy was sent off after the full-time whistle for a second yellow card after some post-match pushing and shoving.

A big three points for York who will go on to host Kettering, who currently sit 15th in the table, on Tuesday night at Bootham Crescent.


York City: Jameson, Tinkler, Brown, Newton, Barrow, Dyson (Kennedy 77), Wright, Woods (McLaughlin 64), Bunn, Redshaw(Potts 69), Cassidy.

Subs not used: Flatters, Guilfoyle.

Yellow cards: Tinkler (25), Bunn (AFW)

Red card: Cassidy (AFW)


Chester: Gray, Morgan, Livesey, Grand, K Roberts, Johnston(Dudley 75), Glendon, Weeks, Lacey (Hughes 75), Elliott, Goodwin(Waring 75).

Subs not used: G Roberts, Bauress.

Yellow cards: Glendon (AFW)


Attendance: N/A

Referee: Ed Duckworth

Waitrose ‘Man of the Match’: Scott Barrow


Match report by Kyle Goldsmith.

Can't find what you're looking for? Try searching.

Search form

Sign up to our newsletter to receive the latest updates!