Online Store Hospitality Buy Tickets

City advance in FA Trophy after penalty shootout win

By Bradley Saxton | 12th March 2022
Match Result
Dagenham & Redbridge Logo
Dagenham & Redbridge
York City Logo
York City
Victoria Road
Saturday 12th Mar - 15:00

Peter Jameson saved three penalties in a dramatic penalty shootout as the Minstermen knocked out National League side Dagenham and Redbridge in the Buildbase FA Trophy Quarter-Finals. 

Paul McCallum’s goal after only fifteen minutes looked to be enough for the home side, but Clayton Donaldson's penalty in the sixth minute of second-half injury time sent the game to penalties.

After a nervy penalty shootout at the end, Jameson guessed the correct way to deny Elliott Johnson from twelve yards to secure City's place in the semi-finals of the competiton with a 7-6 shootout win. 

The home side came into this fixture off the back of two straight victories in the Vanarama National League and they were hoping to make it a third straight win on the bounce.

Daryl McMahon’s side were also hoping they could go one step further to appearing in their first FA Trophy final in twenty-five years, after seeing off Truro City, Southend United and Spennymoor Town in three previous rounds.

Likewise for the Minstermen, they knew a win would secure themselves a spot in the semi-finals, after seeing off Blyth Spartans, Matlock Town, Slough Town, and Morpeth Town in four previous fixtures.

John Askey’s side travelled down to East London in great form, which had seen them go nine games unbeaten in all competitions, a run which had included seven wins out of their last eight games.

Askey was forced into two changes ahead of kick after Tuesday night’s 3-1 win over Darlington. AJ Greaves missed out through injury, whilst Jack McKay and Lenell John-Lewis were both cup-tied, in came Michael Brown and Michael Woods to the starting eleven.

Over 800 supporters travelled down from North Yorkshire to cheer on the Minstermen as they looked to go one step closer on the Road to Wembley.

The home side started brightly at the Chigwell Construction Stadium and went close twice inside the opening ten minutes. Callum Reynolds headed wide of goal from a free-kick played towards the back-post, before midfielder Mo Sagaf had a low effort towards goal deflected out for a corner.

Dagenham managed to break the deadlock after only 14 minutes through McCallum, prodding the ball beyond Jameson into the bottom-right corner to connect with a low-cross into the area from Myles Weston.

The home side went close to doubling their lead just after the half-hour mark with a double chance inside of the penalty area. Angelo Balanta’s original effort was blocked at the front post by Maxim Kouogun, before McCallum’s follow-up effort was blocked by Brown before being cleared away to safety.

York were unable to get a foot-hold within the first half and at times struggled to get the ball into the final third, but they had a brilliant chance to find a way back into the game just before half-time. Michael Duckworth timed his ball into the area to perfection, crossing towards the back-post from the right-hand side, but Kurt Willoughby was unable to hit the target with a header.

The Minstermen came out fighting at the start of the second half as they looked for a way back into the tie and Scott Barrow was inches away from finding that goal, as the left-back fired narrowly wide of goal with an effort from the edge of the area.

The home side nearly capitalised on York’s missed effort and Balanta was presented with a brilliant opportunity to double the lead for Dagenham, after capitalising on a mistake at the back by Kouogun. After racing clear through on goal though, he fired his effort straight into the gloves of Jameson. 

City went close twice in the last ten minutes as they looked for that goal to level the game. Akil Wright fired wide of goal from long-range, before Brown rose highest to head the ball goal-bound from a cross into the area, but his effort was easily saved by Justham.  

City were given the chance to get back into the game as they were awarded a penalty in the fifth minute of added time after Kouogun was fouled in the area. Donaldson stepped up and chipped his penalty down the middle as the full-time whistle sounded and the game went to penalties. 

Into the penalty shoot-out and the Minstermen went first. Paddy McLaughlin stepped up first to give City the lead from twelve yards, before levelled the shootout beating Jameson. Willoughby stepped up and scored to regain the lead, before Reynolds was denied by a smart diving save by Jameson. Mitch Hancox was denied as Justham dived low to his left, before Will Wright levelled the game again for Dagenham to make it 2-2.

Fellow sub Remy Longdon stepped up for York fourth and missed, striking the crossbar before McCallum stepped up and made it 3-2 to Dagenham tucking the ball away into the bottom-right corner. The pressure was on Donaldson as he had to score to keep York in the tie and he did placing it well into the bottom-left for 3-3, before Jameson guessed the correct way to deny Josh Walker as the tie went to sudden death. 

Barrow steppted up next and sent the keeper the wrong way to make it 4-3, before Matt Robinson did the same to make it 4-4, placing low into the bottom-left corner. Brown was next and Justham got a touch onto the ball, but his effort went into the back of the net off the post. Sagaf stepped up for Dagenham and placed into the bottom-right corner to make it 5-5. 

Kouogun stepped up next for the Minstermen, rifling his effort into the roof of the net to make it 6-5, before Brandon Comley sent Jameson the wrong way to keep the exciting penalty shooutout alive in East London. 

Wright stepped up next for the Minstermen and went bottom-right as Justham went the wrong way, before the game was won for City as Jameson guessed the correct way to dive to his left to keep out an effort from Johnson. 

City seal their place in the hat for the draw of the semi-finals of the Buildbase FA Trophy after winning 7-6 on penalties, and they will join Wrexham, Stockport County and Bromley in the hat for Monday's semi-final draw. 

York extend their unbeaten run to ten games and they will now turn their attentions back to the National League North as they set to welcome Curzon Ashton to the LNER Community Stadium on Tuesday evening (7:45pm kick-off).


Dagenham and Redbridge: Justham (GK), Wright (C), Reynolds, Johnson, Sagaf, Rance (Comley 52’), Robinson, Weston, Balanta (C) (Zouma 75’), McCallum, Morias (Walker 78’)

Unused Subs: Lawlor, Clark, Scott, Akanbi

Goals: McCallum (14’)


York City: Jameson (GK), Duckworth, Kouogun, Brown (C), Barrow, Wright, Woods (McLaughlin 63’), Hancox, Dyson (Longdon 74’), Donaldson, Willoughby

Unused Subs: Campbell, Haase, Dale, James

Goals: Donaldson (90'+6)


Referee: Sam Purkiss

Attendance: 2,417 (848 York City fans)


Can't find what you're looking for? Try searching.

Search form

Sign up to our newsletter to receive the latest updates!