Online Store Hospitality Buy Tickets

City draw at Hereford

By Dan Simmonite | 3rd December 2019
Match Result
Hereford FC Logo
Hereford FC
York City Logo
York City
Edgar Street
Tuesday 3rd Dec - 19:45

City came from behind to draw 2-2 at Edgar Street this evening as the Minstermen gained a point on the road against Hereford in the National League North.

The game started with Hereford having the first attempt on goal, Reece Styche trying his luck with a long-range strike which sailed high over Pete Jameson’s crossbar.

City then had a chance of their own, Kieran Green bulldozering his way through into the box to find Alex Kempster who curled an inch-perfect strike into the top corner with his right foot to give York the lead on 9 minutes.

City then did well defensively to block any retaliation in the form of a Styche run and a Danny Greenslade strike. This was followed by Styche appealing for a penalty in the area to no avail.

Taylor Allen had scored in his previous game for the Bulls and was eager to add to his tally after signing on loan from Forest Green Rovers as he hooked a shot just over the crossbar on 28 minutes.

Hereford equalised on 35 minutes through Peter Vincenti, a quick play into the box following a Pete Jameson clearance allowing the midfielder to head into the back of the net.

In the second half David Ferguson had a chance early on which was blocked following a free kick into the box.

Andy Bond then got the ball in the box but didn’t get the best of connections as the midfielder hit straight into the Hereford goalkeepers’ hands.

Jordan Burrow went close after with a powerful header which was pushed for a corner on 58 minutes.

Jameson made a great save just past the hour mark, blocking Taylor Allen after Dawson played the forward through on goal.

Disaster struck minutes later as Hereford were awarded a penalty for a perceived challenge inside the area. Styche then stepped up and fired the ball into the roof of the net to give the hosts the lead with 19 minutes on the clock.

City managed an equaliser with 10 minutes to go, Burrow getting on the end of a low David Ferguson cross to make the score 2-2.

York pushed on in the later stages, the introduction of Paddy McLaughlin and Elliott Durrell proving to be positive changes by Steve Watson – Durrell going close at the end with a fizzed ball across the box which was skewed just wide by a Hereford defender.

After five minutes of added time City couldn’t find the winning goal and the game ended a draw in Herefordshire – the Minstermen now just a point behind League leaders King’s Lynn Town.

York City: Jameson, Griffiths, King (Langstaff 72’), McNulty, Newton, Ferguson, Moke (McLaughlin 62’), Bond, Green (Durrel 62’), Kempster, Burrow

Unused substitutions: Whitley, Tait

Hereford: Hall, Hogkiss, Bodenham, Cullinane-Liburd, Greenslade, Vincenti (Bray 62’), Pope, Dawson, Allen (Symons 86’), Styche (Mooney 82’), Nicholson

Unused substitutions: Pollock, Owen-Evans

Referee: Scott Simpson

Attendance: 1,552 (84 away support)

Can't find what you're looking for? Try searching.

Search form

Sign up to our newsletter to receive the latest updates!