Online Store Hospitality Buy Tickets

City extend unbeaten run to three

11th January 2020
Match Result
York City Logo
York City
AFC Telford Logo
AFC Telford
Bootham Crescent
Saturday 11th Jan - 15:00

Two late goals from Elliott Durrell and Jordan Burrow helped York close the gap at the top of the table to just a point with a 2-0 victory against AFC Telford. 

York were looking to win a third league game in a row and gain ground on Kings Lynn, who were in FA Trophy action.

Steve Watson named an unchanged side to the one that won 2-0 last time out away at Southport. Telford manager Gavin Cowan also named an unchanged side for the third successive game. Telford had only picked up one point from their last two league games. The two sides drew 1-1 earlier in the season, with Burrow being on the scoresheet that day.

York started the game on the front foot. David Ferguson crossed from the left hand side, Burrow tried to steer it goalward and it deflected behind for a corner.

Telfords’s Matty Stenson had a speculative effort from outside the area blocked by Steve McNulty. Theo Streete then volleyed from distance and Peter Jameson caught it with ease.

The game then became extremely scrappy, with neither side able to string a series of passes together.

The games first big chance came to the away side after 18 minutes. A corner from the left was headed narrowly wide by an onrushing white shirt.

Alex Kempster had a go from 20 yards out and Matt Yates in the Telford goal managed to gather the ball despite not being able to hold onto it first time.

Kempster was again involved for York, this time volleying over the bar after Burrow had flicked the ball into his path. Shortly after, Sean Newton’s 25-yard strike was tipped over the bar by Yates, as City started to pose more of a threat going forward.

Newton was clearly encouraged by his earlier effort, as he tried again from further out, only to see his effort go narrowly wide.

Long range shooting seemed to be the order of the day for York. First Kieran Green hit a free kick from 30-yards straight at the keeper, then Patrick McLaughlin fired over from a similar distance.

The away sides best chances were coming from corners. Ellis Deeney found a yard of space in the area, but couldn’t direct his header goalward.

Ferguson delivered another dangerous ball in from the left and it was scrambled behind. The resulting corner was met by captain Steve McNulty, who’s header went just over the bar.

City continued to dominate and had another chance, this time Burrow on the right hand side of the box tried to catch the keeper out at his near post, but he pushed it behind for a corner.

Chances were coming regularly for York. It was Joe Tait’s turn this time, heading over a McLaughlin corner. The Minstermen continued to press, but couldn’t get a goal before half time, with the sides going in at the break goalless.

York’s first chance of the second half fell the Green who chested the ball down on the edge of the box and hit one wide.

Brendon Daniels managed to break with the ball on the left hand side, shooting straight at Jameson.

City were well on top without creating loads of chances. Ferguson’s cross was again put behind for a corner, which resulted in nothing.

With 15 minutes to go, Telford almost took the lead. A free kick from the left was headed goalward, but Jameson made himself big and kept it goalless.

Substitute Macaulay Langstaff was inches away from giving York the lead with 10 minutes to go. He got on the end of a flick on, and his shot went agonisingly wide.

York finally got the goal they thoroughly deserved through Durrell, his first touch of the game. Ferguson picked the ball up on the left hand side, he crossed all the way to the back post and Durrell headed home his first goal in a City shirt, despite the best efforts of the Telford keeper.

Burrow then got York’s second with a brilliant finish. He got a toe to the ball before the keeper and from way out on the left hand side, placed it over both the keeper and a defender on the line to wrap up the three points.

Deeney had the ball in the back of the net in the closing minutes for the away side, but the lines man had his flag up.

Burrow tried to add a third for York, but his shot flew miles wide. This was the last kick of the game, as York secured the three points.

York City: Jameson, Griffiths, Tait, McNulty ©, Newton, Ferguson, McLaughlin, Moke (Durrell 80), Green, Kempster (Langstaff 69), Burrow

Unused substitutes: Whitley, King, Bond

AFC Telford United: Yates, Birch, White, Deeney, Sutton ©, Streete, Barnett, Walker, Stenson (Williams 67), McQulkin (Dinanga 83), Daniels (Knights 83)

Unused substitutes: Calder, Martinez,

Attendance: 2299 (55 away)

Referee: Dale Baines



Report by Jack Witham.

Can't find what you're looking for? Try searching.

Search form

Sign up to our newsletter to receive the latest updates!