Online Store Hospitality Buy Tickets

City joy as Parkin hits late winner

7th October 2017
Match Result
York City Logo
York City
Brackley Logo
Bootham Crescent
Saturday 7th Oct - 15:00

JON PARKIN smashed a late goal for York City to give new manager Martin Gray a winning start to life at Bootham Crescent.

Parkin, who had also scored with a first half header, sent City supporters wild with an 86th minute freekick that flew into the top corner of the Brackley Town net.

Promotion rivals Brackley had equalised through Aaron Williams midway through the second half but City never gave up the chase for a winner.

Gray, given a warm welcome by City supporters before kick-off, made four changes to the side for his first game in charge of the Minstermen.

Defender David Ferguson, signed just 24 hours earlier from Darlington, made his debut as a replacement for the injured Alex Whittle, goalkeeper Luke Simpson was preferred to Jon Worsnop, Jassem Sukar made way for the fit-again Josh Law, and Aidan Connolly returned at the expense of Theo Wharton.

City played with a midfield diamond that had Adriano Moke in the defensive role and Connolly in support of the attack.

Playing a high-tempo style of football, City were the better team in the first 45 minutes and deservedly led at halftime courtesy of a Parkin goal.

The burly striker scored with a close-range header in the 21st minute after Daniel Parslow flicked on a Sean Newton corner.

Brackley, who started the game sitting third in the table, improved after the break.

Goalkeeper Simpson made a near post save to deny Aaron Williams early in the half and also a superb low stop at point blank range after 65 minutes to deny Alex Gudger.

Gray switched to a 4-4-2 formation for the final third of the game after a tiring Connolly, who was starting only his second game of the season, was replaced by Kaine Felix.

Brackley drew level in the 70th minute when Aaron Williams beat Simpson with a low angled drive from the corner of the area.

Youth team striker Ryan Edmondson, still only 16, came off the bench to make his senior debut with 17 minutes to go.

But it was the club’s senior striker, Parkin, who stole the show with a stunning freekick to settle the contest five minutes from the end.

Having been fouled on the edge of the box, Parkin drilled an unstoppable shot into the top corner of the Brackley net and raised the roof at Bootham Crescent.

Gray spoke to all his players in a huddle on the pitch after the final whistle.

The victory lifts City up to sixth spot in the National League North table.

York City: Simpson; Law, Parslow, Bencherif, Ferguson; Newton, Moke (Wharton 74), Heslop; Connolly (Felix 61); Parkin, Morgan-Smith (Edmondson,72). Unused substitutes: Sukar, Worsnop.

Brackley Town: Lewis; Myles, Gudger, S.Byrne (Tilney 90+3), Franklin, Dean, Walker, J.Byrne (Lowe HT), Ndlovu, A.Williams, Walker. Unused substitutes: Diggin, Kaziboni, J.Williams.

Referee: Thomas Parsons.

Bookings: Theo Wharton (York), Shane Byrne (Brackley)

Attendance: 2732

Photos: Mark Comer


Can't find what you're looking for? Try searching.

Search form

Sign up to our newsletter to receive the latest updates!