Online Store Hospitality Buy Tickets

City make it five wins in a row

By Toby Gray | 26th February 2022
Match Result
York City Logo
York City
Guiseley Logo
LNER Community Stadium
Saturday 26th Feb - 15:00

City make it five wins from five with a comfortable win against strugglers Guiseley, goals from Paddy McLaughlin and two from Mitch Hancox saw the Minstermen despatch today’s visitors emphatically.

John Askey made two changes from York’s win over Telford, with Sam Sanders making his debut and John-Lewis making his first start for the club, after an impressive bench cameo in the previous fixture.

The Minstermen came into the game on the back of a five-game unbeaten run, which has seen them win four and draw once, knowing a win would keep the playoffs in touching distance, whilst the away side Guiseley made the 40 mile journey looking to diminish relegation fears with all three points.

After a scrappy start Guiseley were reduced to ten men on the seventh minute when the referee gave his marching orders to Prince Ekpolo for a strong tackle on John-Lewis, which the striker required treatment for. From the resulting freekick Dyson hit the wall and Hancox could not steer the rebound on target, first chance for York.

On the twelfth minute, neat play between Barrow and Hancox on the left hand side gave the latter the chance to put the ball into the box, a precise cross to John-Lewis, the striker headed the ball towards goal at the back post which looked destined to open the scoring and the strikers account for York, but heroic keeping from Owen Mason kept the score level.

Set pieces looked the best way for the visitors to find themselves on the scoresheet, two in quick succession won by the lively Gale. The first hit by Dom Tear over the bar and the following freekick scuffed into the wall by Gale.

McKay and Barrow threatened throughout the half down the left, and combined nicely on the half hour mark to set John Lewis up in the box, with the strikers effort being blocked.

Theme of the day, crosses into the Guiseley box. This time Dysons powerful cross evaded John Lewis, but McKay kept the ball alive and his cross was met by John-Lewis whos header went wide.

With the half coming to an end, York won themselves a freekick in a dangerous area, after some good defending, the ball found its way to McKay on the edge of the area whose effort was heading wide, before a clever touch by John-Lewis diverted the ball towards the goal and looked poised to get the striker a deserved goal, but another great save by Owen Mason denied the striker, only for today’s captain, McLaughlin, to fire a powerful strike from close range into the net. 1-0.

A tough half for the hosts as the visitors recovered well from the early sending off, and made themselves hard to break down, but kept a threat going forward on the counter attack, John-Lewis a danger every time the ball goes in the area.

A bright start to the second half for the visitors resulted in three early corners, which were dealt with comfortably by York, although a scramble in the box could have resulted in the equaliser.

Ten minutes into the second half, McLaughlin got on the end of an Olly Dyson cross, but could not convert his header into the back of the net, narrowly missing the target.

With half an hour remaining, McKay picks the ball of the Guiseley defender before setting Hancox through on goal, the midfielder made no mistake firing a powerful left footed shot beyond Owen Mason.

Two minutes after the second goal, City put the game to bed with a deserved third finish, a swift break from McLaughlin through the middle of the pitch, his perfectly weighted pass put Hancox in an identical position from his first goal, with Hancox making no mistake striking the ball out of Mason’s reach. The LNER Community Stadium kept getting louder and louder.

York controlled the latter stages well, dominating possession and territory, limiting the Lions to very few touches. A clever flicked header by Dyson sent substitute Donaldson through on goal, but his effort smashed into the side netting. Whilst at the other end Kouogun showed great strength and speed to stop Adam Haw bearing down on goal.

A professional performance from the Minstermen, who showed flair, creativity and pace going forward, with a solid defensive display making the visitors feed of scraps throughout. A solid debut for loanee Sanders, will add confidence to the squad and give Askew plenty to think about when captain Matty Brown returns to the squad. City lie just two points out of the playoffs, with games in hand on those above.


York City: Jameson (GK), Duckworth, Kouogun, Sanders, Barrow, Wright (Greaves 82'), McLaughlin (C), Hancox, Dyson, John-Lewis (Donaldson 67'), McKay(Willoughby 67')

Unused Subs: Greaves, Woods, Campbell

Goals: McLaughlin, Hancox x2


Guiseley AFC: Owen Mason, George Cantrill, Jason Sraha, Prince Ekpolo, Andy Hollins, Lebrun Mbeka, Ollie Brown, Dom Tear, David Bremang (Regan Hutchinson 72'), James Gale (Adam Haw 85') Thierry Latty-Fairweather.

Unused Subs: Lewis Hey, Hamza Bencherif, Adam Haw, Brad Nicholson


Attendance: 3,621 (152 away supporters)

Referee: Dale Baines

Can't find what you're looking for? Try searching.

Search form

Sign up to our newsletter to receive the latest updates!