Online Store Hospitality Buy Tickets

City open campaign with a win

6th August 2022
Match Result
York City Logo
York City
Woking Logo
LNER Community Stadium
Saturday 6th Aug - 15:00

York City got off to a perfect start to life in the National League, putting on a dominant display to beat Woking FC 2-0 in front of an opening day crowd of almost 4,000.

Maz Kouhyar, who closed the scoring of the 2021/22 campaign with his strike in the play-off final, opened the Minstermen’s account for 2022/23 with his 36th minute finish.

Michael Duckworth doubled the advantage in the 56th minute to the delight of the LNER Community Stadium with the home side well on top and looking good for all three points.

John Askey’s men looked sharp from the off and gave Woking a scare inside three minutes when Kouhyar played Luke James through with a quick free-kick but Woking’s Craig Ross was equal to the forward’s effort.

Olly Dyson had a penalty appeal waved away minutes later after tiptoeing around the defence and into the box before being tripped.

The visitors had their first chance in the 10th minute as a throw-in fell to the feet of Dan Moss who forced a great save from Ethan Ross.

York got straight down the other end as Luke James broke down the left and played a low cross towards Mitch Hancox who was unable to get a good connection on the stretch.

It continued to be mostly one-way traffic as Duckworth curled just over with his left foot on the right and Dyson drilled narrowly wide from outside the box around the half hour. Woking’s only real chance of note during this period being a Jermaine Anderson shot blocked by Maxim Kouogun.

Luke James attempted a spectacular bicycle kick which seemed to catch Craig Ross off guard as it rattled the post in the 33rd minute.

The dominant Minstermen finally saw dividends soon after as Kouhyar capitalised on a poor pass to break clear through on goal and coolly slotted into the bottom left corner from inside the area.

Kouhyar went close again in the 42nd minute when he picked up the ball from a Lenell John-Lewis flick-on and curled narrowly high of the left corner. 

Ethan Ross was called into action just before half-time as James Daly got in-behind on a ball over the top to poke towards goal and force a good reaction stop from the ‘keeper.

The Minstermen continued on the front foot as the second period got underway, with the visitors resorting to cynical fouls which saw Jim Kellermen and Luke Wilkinson go into the referee’s book within minutes of the half.

York responded by doubling the lead through a lovely short corner routine. Hancox flicked the ball on to Duckworth on the edge of the area who arrowed a strike through a crowd of bodies into the far corner.

Woking had their first chance of the second period on the hour mark when Tyreke Johnson’s low shot landed just wide of the left post to send the Minstermen a warning.

But it did not prove to be a sign of the away side coming back into the game as York saw further good chances go begging when Adam Crookes headed a free-kick inches over the bar and Khouyar forced Craig Ross into action again.

John Askey’s side managed the final minutes well wrapping up the victory and a clean sheet to start the season with all three points. City now head into a first away trip of the season when they travel to Maidstone next Saturday.

York: Ross, Crookes, Kouogun, Dyson, Kouhyar (Kerr, 89’), Whittle, John-Lewis (Boden, 90’), Hancox, Pybus, James (Hurst, 76’), Duckworth

Subs not used: Burgess, Whitley

Goals: Kouhyar 36’, Duckworth 56’


Woking: Ross, Casey, Cuthbert, Wilkinson, Daly, Amond, Johnson (McNerney, 86’), Moss, Kellerman (Grego-Cox, 55’), Anderson (Roles, 69’), Ince

Subs not used: Wady, Nelson


Attendance: 3,978 (246 Woking)

Referee: Ed Duckworth

Waitrose & Partners Man of the Match: Maz Kouhyar

Can't find what you're looking for? Try searching.

Search form

Sign up to our newsletter to receive the latest updates!