Online Store Hospitality Buy Tickets

City suffer 2-0 defeat at Kettering

By Bradley Saxton | 5th April 2022
Match Result
Kettering Logo
York City Logo
York City
Latimer Park
Tuesday 5th Apr - 19:45

The Minstermen suffered back-to-back defeats as they fell to a 2-0 defeat away to Kettering Town.

The job was done early for Kettering Town as two early goals from Connor Kennedy and Callum Stead handed the hosts all three points at Latimer Park.

City were beaten 3-1 at the weekend by National League side Bromley in the FA Trophy Semi-Final and Askey was hoping his side could bounce back with a win as they returned to National League North action.

Askey made three changes from the side that suffered defeat at Bromley. Lenell John-Lewis and Sam Sanders returned to the starting eleven, whilst new signing Maziar Kouhyar also started in midfield after joining the club from Hereford FC a fortnight ago.

Kettering came into this fixture full of confidence after securing back-to-back victories over play-off hopefuls Chorley and South and manager Ian Culverhouse was hoping his side could secure another three points as they looked to move level with Southport in the final play-off spot.

It took the home side only five minutes to break the deadlock at Latimer Park, Kennedy prodded the ball home into the bottom-left corner within a packed penalty area, after City failed to clear the ball away from a dangerous long-throw into the area from the right-hand side.

Things got better for the home side as they doubled their lead after only 12 minutes. After a brilliant long-ball through on the right hand side, the ball was squared centrally for Stead, who finished well into the bottom-left corner after turning a City defender on the edge of the area.

The home side continued to pile the pressure on the York defence and they went close again through Jordan Crawford, who forced Peter Jameson into action as he got down well to keep out a fierce effort from the Kettering midfielder.

City went close to pulling a goal back just short of the half-hour mark as Maxim Kouogun headed narrowly over the bar from a Scott Barrow free-kick, before Kurt Willoughby had a curling free-kick from 25-yards out punched away by the Kettering goalkeeper for a corner.

York went close again moments before half-time, this time going close twice inside a minute. A long-ball forward by Sanders wasn’t dealt with by the Kettering defence and John-Lewis was denied from close-range by the keeper’s legs, before Paddy McLaughlin fired wide on the rebound.

Kennedy went close again to finding his second goal of the evening as he fired inches wide of Jameson’s right-hand post from distance five minutes into the second half, moments before Stead turned Kouogun in the penalty area and fired narrowly over the bar from a tight angle.

The game wasn’t over and City were in search for a goal that would pull them back into the game. John-Lewis went close again for City as he flicked an effort wide of goal on the hour mark, after Barrow had put a dangerous cross into the penalty area from the left-hand side.

City couldn’t find a way back into the game as they fell to a second defeat in a row in all competitions.

York face a tough test this coming Saturday as they travel down to Northamptonshire to take on National League North leaders Brackley Town at St. James Park (3pm kick-off).


Kettering Town: J.Smith (GK), Barrett, Brown, Jack Smith, Johnson, Johnson, Cooper, Stead, Kennedy, Stohrer, Crawford (Sheriff 76’), Daly

Unused Subs: Milovanovic, C.Smith, Deacon, Davies

Goals: Kennedy (5’), Stead (12’)


York City: Jameson (GK), Dyson, Kouogun, Brown (C), Sanders, Barrow (McKay 81’), Wright, McLaughlin, Kouhyar (Donaldson 66’), John-Lewis, Willoughby

Subs not used: Campbell, James, Longdon

Goals: N/A


Attendance: 852

Can't find what you're looking for? Try searching.

Search form

Sign up to our newsletter to receive the latest updates!