Online Store Hospitality Buy Tickets

Six goals for City against Redcar

15th January 2019
Match Result
York City Logo
York City
Redcar Athletic Logo
Redcar Athletic
Bootham Crescent
Tuesday 15th Jan - 7.30pm

New manager Steve Watson looked on from the stands as City eased past Redcar Athletic into the semifinals of the North Riding Senior Cup.

Watson named a full squad of senior professionals against the Northern League Division Two part-timers and spent the majority of game in the directors' box as assistant Micky Cummins conducted operations from the touchline.

Captain Jordan Burrow and injured midfielder Simon Heslop were the notable absentees and there was also no involvement for any of the club's youngsters - including Nathan Dyer - ahead of an Under-19 League Cup tie on Wednesday afternoon against Chester.

Striker Jon Parkin opened the scoring after seven minutes - meeting a cross from Wes York with a header that went in off the underside of the crossbar.

Kallum Griffiths doubled the lead three minutes later when shooting past goalkeeper Will Lawrence from just inside the penalty area.

City started the game in a 4-3-3 system that saw rightback Griffiths frequently pushing forward.

Alex Kempster, now back from a loan spell at Spennymoor Town, played in an attacking central midfield role alongside Alex Harris and Adriano Moke.

Sean Newton, playing leftback, was unlucky not to score in the 32nd minute when his 25 yard freekick bounced back off the crossbar.

However, City added a third before the interval when centreback Joe Tait found space in the visitor's penalty area to swivel and shoot into the roof of the net.

City made three substitutions at the interval and switched to a 3-5-2 formation. It took Liam Agnew just four minutes to get on the scoresheet - the on-loan midfielder shooting past goalkeeper Lawrence from the edge of the box to open his City goal account.

Defender Stuart Browne reduced the deficit when scoring from close-range for Redcar in the 51st minute.

With City taking their foot off the gas in the second half, Watson made his way down to the touchline for the final 15 minutes of the game.

Midfielder Agnew was shown a red card for a challenge on Redcar's Stuart Redman with eight minutes to play but ten-man City still proceeded to score two further goals.

Macaulay Langstaff broke free on the edge of the penalty area and drilled the ball home in the 88th minute before Kempster completed the scoring in stoppage time after latching onto a flick from Parkin.

City: Bartlett; Griffiths (Law HT), Tait, Parslow (Bencherif HT), Newton; Harris, Kempster Moke (Agnew HT); York, Parkin, Langstaff. Unused substitutes: Wright, Ferguson.

Redcar Athletic: Lawrence; Crossen, Farrington, Woodhouse (C), Bennett, Browne, Calvert (Carmichael 73), Wood (Bivens 61), Preston, Rivis (Skelton 86), Redman. Unused substitutes: Cooper, Connelly.

Referee: Jonty Gill

Attendance: 352

Booked: Calvert, Brown (Redcar)

Sent-off: Agnew (City)

Can't find what you're looking for? Try searching.

Search form

Sign up to our newsletter to receive the latest updates!