U19’s progress into Academy Cup Quarter Final

The U19’s booked their place in the Quarter-Finals of the National League Alliance Academy Cup on Wednesday afternoon with a 6-0 win over Blyth Spartans at the training ground.  

Tim Ryan’s side saw off Altrincham away from home in the last round of the competition and he was hoping his side could progress further, but he knew it would be a tough game against a side who sat second in the same league as the Young Minstermen.

The home side came out the blocks the quickest and nearly opened the scoring after only three minutes, but Jonny Shepherd fired narrowly wide of the target after the ball had fallen at the feet of the young forward inside the penalty area.

Blyth were reduced to ten men in the 21st minute, with their right back receiving a second yellow card for dissent, having previously been booked a couple of minutes earlier for a foul on Shepherd on the edge of the area.

Following the sending off from the resulting free-kick, Billy Gordon curled a spectacular effort over the Blyth wall and into the top-left corner to give City the lead and an edge through in the tie.

Ten-man Blyth nearly levelled instantly from the kick off, as the ball was crossed in from the right, and with the aid of the strong present wind, the ball flew over everyone and crashed out of play off the crossbar.

City doubled their lead in the 54th minute with an own goal, as the ball was prodded into the back of the net by a Blyth defender after a neat pull back from Shepherd from the left-hand side.

The floodgates soon started to open as the Minstermen put the result beyond doubt with their third of the afternoon in the 70th minute. Substitute Max Ezard was on hand to smash the ball home from close-range after being picked out by Kyle Lancaster from the right.

Lancaster added the U19’s fourth goal of the afternoon only four minutes later after he managed to dribble past four defenders into the penalty area, before smashing the ball home into the bottom-right corner.

Three minutes later, defender Nathan Heaton made it 5-0 with a neat header at the front post after a free-kick into the area from the right, before Harry Burland’s first time finish beat the Blyth ‘keeper at his left-hand post after the forward was picked out superbly by Kieran Clayton to make it six.

The win sees the Young Minstermen advance into the Quarter-Finals of the competition, where they will take on either Chester FC, Chesterfield or either Notts County or Solihull Moors in the next round.


York City U19 (vs Blyth Spartans): Hogan (GK), McLoughlin, Edenene (Lancaster 52’), Algar (C) (Marshall 78’), Heaton, Myers, Harrison, Payne (Dawson 46’), Shepherd (Burland 65’), Gordon (Ezard 68’), Clayton