Match Report | Boreham Wood 1-1 York City

Image by Tom Poole

The Minstermen drew 1-1 against Boreham Wood in front of the TNT Sports cameras at Mangata Pay UK Stadium Meadow Park on Sunday afternoon.

Chris Bush’s late thunderstrike was cancelled out by Adam Crookes’s 90+3rd minute header to rescue a point in Borehamwood, and extend the Minstermen’s league unbeaten run to seven games.

The tie saw Neal Ardley name new incoming forward Billy Chadwick for the first time, following his arrival earlier in the week.

New signing Chadwick took aim for the first time in a City shirt after just 45 seconds, blasting into the Boreham Wood back-line from the edge of the area.

The forward found space to open up again in the fourth minute, driving torwards goal and wrapping his curling effort just around the post.

Lee Ndlovu struck the host’s first chance at goal in the eighth minute, as the forward ran through to shoot, but George Sykes-Kenworthy held the firm effort.

Early openings and opportunities looked to set the game up as an end-to-end spectacle, but a much slower half played out in the end.

City worked hard out of possession to restrict the hosts, who dominated on the ball but failed to produce any meaningful openings throughout the remainder of the first period.

Forward Will Davies stung the palms of Wood captain Nathan Ashmore inside the opening minutes of the second half, after latching onto a pass from Dipo Akinyemi in the centre.

An attacking third free-kick landed to the feet of Chadwick in the 53rd minute, as City began to produce chances and open up into the game, with the forward controlling well but fizzing his half-volley chance inches over the bar.

Femi Ilesanmi did well to cause City problems in the 72nd minute, jumping onto a defensive mistake and setting up for Tyrone Marsh, however the ball couldn’t be moved out from the forward’s feet.

The Wood then launched a back-to-front counter attack in the 76th, working it down the left and into the middle before the ball rolled out to the far right-hand side.

Three scrambled chances then followed for Boreham Wood, concluding with a low-down save for Sykes-Kenworthy to gather up.

Defender Chris Bush’s long-range effort eventually broke the deadlock in the 83rd minute, as the power shot went through the save of Sykes-Kenworthy to bounce in.

With the clock against City, Akinyemi’s troubling set-piece saw a dead ball tipped over by Ashmore in added time.

The resulting corner kick setup City’s equaliser with seconds to spare as Adam Crookes rose highest from a cutback across the box to salvage City a point.

A point on the road, taking the unbeaten run up to seven in the league makes it a first for York at this level since 2011/12!

BOREHAM WOOD: Ashmore ©, Ilesanmi, Bush, Whelan, Ndlovu, Marsh, Balanta (75’ Appiah), Sousa (92 Coxe), Sass-Davies, Robinson, Staunton.

UNUSED SUBS: Abayomi, Clayden, Clarke.

YORK CITY: Sykes-Kenworthy, Fallowfield ©, Crookes, Davies (73’ McLaughlin), Akinyemi, Howe, Chadwick, Burgess, Woodyard, Latty-Fairweather (85’ John-Lewis), Smith.

UNUSED SUBS: Cordner, Dyson, Kennedy.

ATTENDANCE: 1,307 (367 York City supporters)