Match Report | Chester FC 0-0 York City

Photo by Adam Davy

The Minstermen drew 0-0 in their Emirates FA Cup First Round tie away to Chester at the Leap76 Stadium on Saturday, forcing a replay at the LNER Community Stadium.

Goalkeeper David Stockdale started between the sticks for the Minstermen, making his comeback from injury.

Quevin Castro was also handed a start by manager Neal Ardley on the afternoon.

Midfielder Olly Green struck City’s first shot of the game in the sixth minute when Ryan Fallowfield received the switch on the right-hand flank, playing inwards to Green who hit hard into a Chester defender.

Castro weaved and turned around the area in the ninth minute, finding some space to hit an effort which was again blocked off by a Chester man.

Adam Thomas looked to have nestled for the hosts with the opener in the 10th minute after driving low from outside the area, but the shot crept past Stockdale’s post.

The fast start to the game continued into the 13th minute when captain Lenell John-Lewis took aim towards the far post.

Chester captain George Glendon then took advantage of a poor pass from City in the 21st minute, charging through to the Minstermen’s area before aiming his chance over the bar.

The tie’s tempo began to settle as the half went on, with City applying pressure in spells. Callum Howe took aim in the 35th minute after work from the left-hand flank saw the ball fall to the central defender, but a block again denied City a clear chance at goal.

A similar standard of open play took hold of the second half, with an easy header claimed by Stockdale from Tom Sparrow in the 51st minute.

Green found himself in space in the 61st minute, opening up his body for an outside of the area shot which flew wide in the end.

Substitute Dipo Akinyemi, who returned from injury this afternoon, got the ball moving down the left-hand flank in the 74th minute. Green took the resulting shot, from the phase of play, which whipped just wide of the post.

Akinyemi then turned to ping a shot in the 79th minute on his left foot, Paddy McLaughlin was on his feet in the area to latch onto the rebound which sent wide.

A well drilled Fallowfield corner in the 85th minute connected with the head of Will Smith, but a comfortable collection beckoned for Wyll Stanway.

Hosts Chester then replicated the move a minute later, substitute Charlie Caton guided the ball of Declan Weeks just over the bar.

Elliott Whitehouse struck the palms of Stockdale in the 90+3rd minute as the hosts looked to apply the most of the pressure in the final exchanges.

Caton squandered the last big chance of the game for Chester when the ball travelled all the way through the area from a cross, with the striker sending it wide of the mark.

City will host Chester in an Emirates FA Cup First Round replay at the LNER Community Stadium on Tuesday, 14th November.

Further details will follow in due course.

CHESTER FC: Stanway, Taylor, Weeks, Williams, Glendon © (87’ Murray), Whitehouse, Thomas (59’ Caton), Sparrow (67’ Coates), Daly (67’ Burke), Roberts, Edwards.

UNUSED SUBS: Davies, Evans, Heywood, Rosenblatt, Maguire.

YORK CITY: Stockdale, Fallowfield, Cordner, McLaughlin, Castro (62’ Burgess), John-Lewis ©, Howe, Kennedy (62’ Akinyemi), Woodyard, Smith, Green.

UNUSED SUBS: Watson, Dyson, Hancox, Siziba, Barrow, Latty-Fairweather.