Match Report | Nantwich Town 3-2 York City

Image by Tom Poole

The Minstermen lost 3-2 against Nantwich Town at the Swansway Stadium in the Isuzu FA Trophy Third Round on Saturday Afternoon.

Three goals before the 30-minute mark sentenced City to an extreme uphill task in the fixture to remain within the Isuzu FA Trophy.

Neal Ardley made seven changes to the side that started against Wigan Athletic in the Emirates FA Cup Second Round the week prior.

Notable changes included the return from injuries for Michael Duckworth & Callum Harriott, Quevin Castro also came into midfield with Olly Green.

Hosts Nantwich took the lead after two minutes in the tie when Ahmed Ali rose highest to flick a free header past David Stockdale.

The Dabbers had an opportunity gifted to them to double their lead in the 15th minute, as City struggled to get a foot in the game at all, with a shot going wide from a handful of yards out.

Stockdale denied Byron Harrison two minutes later, after the forward towered above captain Tyler Cordner to steer a header at goal.

York City’s first real move in the 21st minute saw a dangerous Will Davies shot curve wide of the post, after connecting with Callum Harriott’s short cross.

Paddy Kay doubled up the Dabbers’ lead in the 22nd minute after he beat Stockdale to the cross in the air and nod it into the net.

Davies called goalkeeper Danny Roberts into action after 26 minutes, latching onto a ball sent over the top before prodding a tame effort at the Nantwich shot-stopper.

A third was added after 28 minutes through Connor Rankin as his effort travelled through bodies at the near post to nestle into Stockdale’s net from the corner.

Davies provided the only bright spark in the opening half at all, connecting onto a cross to glance a guided header on target for the Minstermen.

A quieter opening 15 minutes for the second half followed for York City, with only Castro striking a shot from the edge of the area in the 57th minute, which took a block.

City continued to try and get back into the game, but excellent performances across the board from Nantwich made it a difficult fixture to get back into.

Castro had two strikes just past the 70th minute mark, thumping both way over the bar.

City won a penalty in the 82nd minute through Siziba after the winger reconnected with his cleared cross, before being hooked down by the Nantwich defender.

Substitute Lenell John-Lewis converted the penalty for the Minstermen.

A second was notched on the 90th minute after City worked the ball forward with pace, Green played off wide to Siziba who hit across the box and found the far net with a nick on the ball on the way through.

Harrison saw red for the hosts in the dying minutes of the fixture after throwing an elbow, seeing Nantwich close out the game with 10-men.

NANTWICH: Roberts, Bourne ©, Hill, A Ali, Okome, Butler, Kay, Hewitt (68’ Bircumshaw), Harrison, Kirby (90+3’ M. Ali), Rankin (83’ Raffie).

UNUSED SUBS: Cooke, Saunders, Tavakoli, Speare.

YORK CITY: Stockdale, Duckworth, Cordner ©, Davies (62’ John-Lewis), Castro, Kouhyar, Harriott (61’ Woodyard), Daley, Kennedy (11’ Siziba), Latty-Fairweather, Green.

UNUSED SUBS: Watson, Fallowfield, Burgess.

ATTENDANCE: 905 (156 York City supporters).