Match Report | Southend United 0-1 York City

Image by Tom Poole

The Minstermen won 1-0 away to Southend United at Roots Hall in the Vanarama National League on Saturday afternoon.

Lenell John-Lewis’ 89th minute strike snatched three points away from the host Southend, in a game which City had to defend well in across the tie.

Left back Danny Amos made his first Minstermen start since signing for the club on loan until the end of the season in the week, whilst Dan Batty returned from long-term injury to see out the game for Neal Ardley’s side.

Hosts Southend kept the ball well for the opening exchanges, recording their first corner after eight minutes.

City, and namely Dipo Akinyemi, then recorded back-to-back wide headers in the 10th and 14th minutes to put City in the game.

A dangerous header by Danny Waldron, who connected onto Jack Bridge’s delivery in the 17th minute, looked to be giving the hosts the lead, however the ball just drppped over the crossbar.

City launched their first effort on target just four minutes later. Scott Burgess’ deep set-piece wasn’t cleared by the Southend back-line, with the in-rushing McLaughlin striking on the half volley to draw a corner.

Ryan Fallowfield looked certain to have setup the rushing Akinyemi with a through ball in the 25th minute but before the striker could aim, James Morton stuck in a well-timed last-ditch tackle to divert danger.

The captain again got City moving, this time with a darting attack down the right-hand flank, with the ball eventually falling for Will Davies who smacked the post from a handful of yards out.

The unnumbered Nathan Ralph struck a half-volley over for the hosts in the 32nd minute before Harry Cardwell’s flicked header saw the half out in the 44th minute.

Southend’s striker produced the same outcome on the turn of the half, notching a Gus Scott-Morriss cross wide.

City ‘keeper George Sykes-Kenworthy kept the tie level in the 65th minute when he beat away the near-post free header of Adam Crowther from a handful of yards out.

Southend’s Crowther squandered an exceptional chance to take aim at Sykes-Kenworthy in the 79th minute when Henry Sandat’s line-breaking run picked out the central defender, who opted to square and not shoot.

City looked content with how the game was heading, goalless, with neither side really unlocking devastating clear-cut chances.

A late winner was secured on the stroke of the 90th minute when substitute Lenell John-Lewis thumped home a parried Callum Howe header from a corner kick.

Heroics were still to come as Alex Woodyard was in the right place at the right time to clear a Southend effort off the line and secure City all three points on the road.

SOUTHEND: Adeng-Ndi, Scott-Morriss, Ralph ©, Crowther, Kensdale, Bridge, Husin, Cardwell, Waldron (73’ Sandat), Miley, Morton (82’ Dackers).

UNUSED SUBS: Wood, Fonguck, Demetriou.

YORK CITY: Sykes-Kenworthy, Fallowfield ©, Crookes, McLaughlin, Davies (62’ John-Lewis), Akinyemi (84’ Batty), Howe, Burgess (74’ Chadwick), Amos, Woodyard, Smith.

UNUSED SUBS: Cordner, Barnes.

ATTENDANCE: 6,754 (264 York City supporters)