Match Report | Sutton Coldfield Town FC Women 2-1 York City Ladies

By Charlie Hopper

York City Ladies were edged out by Sutton Coldfield Town FC Women in the Second Round of the Women’s National League Plate on Sunday afternoon.

The home side made a strong start to the match and came close to opening the scoring in the fifth minute, but Jess Holder came to the rescue to clear the ball off the line.

The MinsterBelles came fighting back and went close in the ninth minute only for Nicki Brown’s shot to curl wide of the goal.

Holder was again at the centre of another City attack, but she watched her long-range strike pushed away by Ellie-Mae Locke.

Sutton Coldfield then had a glorious chance, just after 30 minutes, as Brittany Civil found space in the area but couldn’t get her shot away.

The final action of an end-to-end first-half came in the form of a stunning save from Becky Sidwell. The ball hit a body on it’s way through to the goal and Sidwell changed directed to save the ball low down.

MinsterBelles boss Steph Turnbull made a change at half-time with Rebecca Jeffels replacing Rebecca Fevers as City looked to break the deadlock.

Holly Findlay registered the first shot on target of the half, but it was comfortably saved by Locke.

In 65th minute, Lois Jefferies should have given her side the lead. She received a pass inside the area but blasted her shot well over the bar, before Ella Duffield had an effort saved by the Sutton Coldfield goalkeeper.

The deadlock was broken in the 75th minute by the hosts as a ball cross into the area was finished off Liv Woolston, who took a touch in the penalty area before curling her effort past Sidwell.

The hosts’ lead was doubled in the 86th minute with Woolston squaring the ball low across goal to substitute Rameyah Farquharson, who curled the ball into the bottom corner.

The MinsterBelles responded well as a goal from Alice Hughes gave them hope and pulled a way back into the game. Milly Ash whipped a dangerous free kick into the area and Hughes headed in at the back post to half the deficit.

There was time for one final chance for the Ladies to claim a late equaliser, but a ball across the box failed to find a player and it was cleared.

The result means that City are out of the Women’s National League Plate, but attention now turns to Sunday’s Vitality Women’s FA Cup 1st Round tie at home to FC United of Manchester at the York Sport Stadium. The game kicks off at 1pm with the gates opening at 12pm. It is £5 for standard admission with Under 11’s free.

Unfortunately the U23’s and Development side saw both of their games called off due to waterlogged pitches.