Match Report | The Minsterbelles knocked out of the FA Cup on penalties at the Park Road Stadium

Following illness to both Elisha Hardcastle and Jess Holder City named a 13-player squad for the trip to Greater Manchester. Abbey Fredericksen and Olivia Sellars were handed starts and Anna Bowman was named as a substitute for the first time this season.

Fredericksen had City’s first effort of the afternoon, in the second minute she shot wide after good approach play.

It was the hosts that struck first however, in the fourth minute, a cross was punched out by Becky Sidwell with the sun causing the York backline issues, the ball dropped for Rachael Dunlop at the back post who volleyed home from close range.

Dunlop was again leading a Cheadle attack in the ninth minute, the forward tested Sidwell with her shot but the City number one was equal to it.

After eleven minutes York started to build some considered pressure, some more good football opened up a chance for Heald to fire but her shot was off target.

Less than 60 seconds later City drew level, Fliss Jones the scorer, in the right place at the right time to follow up after Sellars strike was pushed out by the goalkeeper.

Jones almost got in for her second in the 17th minute but Francesca Singleton in the Cheadle goal was out quickly and bravely saving at the feet of Jones who sustained an injury in the challenge. After a lengthy stoppage to receive treatment the forward was ultimately unable to carry on and was replaced by Bowman.

Sellars again forced the keeper into a save with a well hit strike which was heading in underneath the bar but the keeper managed to tip over keeping the score line 1-1.

Nikki Brown struck the upright in the 37th minute with York in control of the game and creating openings, her shot was left by the keeper who had her blushes spared as the ball hit the post and went wide.

City completed their comeback in the 39th minute, Alice Hughes made no mistake from 12 yards after York were awarded a penalty, a confident strike from the midfielder.

York survived a late scare in stoppage time at the end of the first half, Chloe Mapp rounded Sidwell, as she got into the box the Cheadle player rushed her finish and fired wide, seeing the Minsterbelles ahead going into the break.

The hosts came out looking for an equaliser early in the second half, an effort flashed across goal in the 47th minute before Sophie John shot over from the edge of the box in the 50th minute.

The pendulum then swung back York’s way, City pressure high up won the ball back as Brown took aim but couldn’t hit the target shooting wide.

On the hour mark Hughes struck the post with her shot from just inside the box as the visitors looked to increase their slender advantage.

Sellars again tested the keeper in the 61st minute, the forward curled a shot on target but there wasn’t the necessary power to really trouble Singleton.

City made their second and final change in the 62nd minute as Fredericksen was replaced by Patterson.

Dunlop had two more efforts both going wide of the target either side a good city opening involving Bowman, Sellars and Brown, the latter shot over from inside the 18-yard box in the final 25 minutes of the tie.

In the 81st minute the hosts equalised, sending the game to extra time. Dunlop again the scorer picking out the far corner from a tight angle.

The first half of extra time brought about one chance a piece, Brown again shot over from the edge of the box before John put a dangerous ball across goal in the 105th minute.

In the second half of extra time York came close on a number of occasions, firstly Bowman lifted a shot over in the first minute of the half.

The next City chance saw Jess Heald deliver a pinpoint cross which Sellars met but couldn’t hit the target with her header which just passed the angle.

In the 111th minute Hughes was denied by a smart save from Singleton low down to her left.

Cheadle created their first chance of the second half of extra time in the 112th minute, similar to the Dunlop’s second goal, aiming for the far corner from the left side of the box, this time however her shot went wide.

Then came the dreaded penalties, Hughes and Patterson stepped up and missed either side of a Sidwell save, with Cheadle leading 1-0. Sellars pulled City level, before Cheadle missed twice more, as did Cassidy and Heald before Cheadle won it with the final spot kick seeing them through 2-1 on penalties.

A tough one to take as City exit the FA Cup in the First Round. York return to league action next Sunday with a trip to Durham Cestria, kick off 2pm.

Minsterbelles: Sidwell, Jeffels, Cassidy, Cattle, Heald, Sorokan, Hughes, Brown, Fredericksen (Patterson), Jones (Bowman), Sellars.