Match Report | York City 1-1 Maidenhead United

Image by Tom Poole

The Minstermen drew 1-1 against Maidenhead United at the LNER Community Stadium in the Vanarama National League on Saturday afternoon.

Ashley Nathaniel-George deservedly opened up the scoring before the visitors slung in a bizarre own goal to level up the game.

Neal Ardley opted for the same starting XI which was defeated away to Hartlepool the week prior, signalling an end to City’s unbeaten league run.

Jayden Mitchell-Lawson sent warning signs early on, hitting the side netting in the 8th minute after being picked out during his run into the area by Sam Barratt.

The visitors then won the first corner of the game in the 12th minute, as Sam Barratt’s cross was blocked out inside the area.

An opener was struck by Alan Devonshire’s side five minutes later as Ashley Nathaniel-George’s direct running was picked out from the right-hand flank, with the winger firing into the far top corner.

It took the Minstermen until the 24th minute to really create anything of note as Billy Chadwick’s sliding through-ball picked out Will Davies, who looked up and took aim, but was blocked by the charging Craig Ross.

A bizarre own goal in the 28th minute brought proceedings level for the half. A scramble inside the penalty area following a Scott Burgess cross eventually landed at the feet of Sam Beckwith and Will Davies, with the Maidenhead player instead swooping home the equaliser.

Callum Howe’s routine header just before half time, from a corner, saw City’s last real attempt of the half dealt with by the Magpies.

York began the second half with back-to-back corners, however struggled to yield an effort at goal from either of them.

Dipo Akinyemi was desperately unlucky to not see his strike hit the back of the net after a 52nd minute effort from outside the area, after beating his man in the air to win the ball, left the post shaking.

The forward then dragged wide on his left foot in the 63rd minute after picking up on a ball over the top from Alex Woodyard.

A further two chances fall for the Minstermen in the 71st minute, as pressure continued to knock on the Maidenhead door.

Davies’ near-post strike produced an awkward save from Ross before McLaughlin struggled to take a hold of a possible clean strike inside the area.

Despite pushing hard into eight minutes of additional time, both sides shared the points at the LNER Community Stadium.

YORK CITY: Sykes-Kenworthy, Fallowfield ©, Crookes, McLaughlin, Davies (72’ John-Lewis), Akinyemi, Howe, Chadwick (80’ Barnes), Burgess, Woodyard, Smith.

UNUSED SUBS: Duckworth, Batty, Kennedy.

MAIDENHEAD: Ross ©, Asare, Beckwith, De Havilland, Lokko, Nathaniel-George, Ferdinand (45+5’ Adams), Mitchell-Lawson (68’ Smith), Sho-Silva, Pettit, Barratt.

UNUSED SUBS: McCoulsky, Zimba, Massey.

ATTENDANCE: 4,667 (72 Maidenhead supporters)