Match Report | York City 2-0 Oxford City

Image by Matthew Appleby

The Minstermen won 2-0 against Oxford City at the LNER Community Stadium in the Vanarama National League on Tuesday night.

Paddy McLaughlin, Lenell John-Lewis, Kai Kennedy and Will Smith made way as Neal Ardley made four changes to his side which lost 3-1 to Hartlepool United on the weekend just gone.

Will Davies came in for his first start in a City shirt, along with Maz Kouhyar with his return from injury, Scott Burgess, and Thierry Latty-Fairweather.

After notching his first league goal, a consolation against Hartlepool, Tyler Cordner went one better on the night after six minutes to set the standard.

The defender looked up and travelled with the ball out from the back defensive line before taking aim some 30-yards out to thump the ball past Jack Bycroft.

Starting debutant Davies then netted a first goal in front of the Minstermen crowd at the LNER Community Stadium in the 18th minute when he pounced on a Burgess ball inside the area.

Dipo Akinyemi then turned up a minute later to carve an opening down the left-hand flank, cutting inside to dispatch a curling effort held well by Bycroft.

Goalscorer Cordner was called into defensive duties in the 23rd minute when he denied Oxford striker Oliver Sanderson a shot at George Sykes-Kenworthy’s goal.

Midfielder Zac McEachran then called the ‘keeper into action three minutes later, with City’s shot stopper alert to the effort.

City continued to cause problems for the Oxford backline, this time through Burgess, who blazed over in the 32nd minute from close range.

Pressure remained for the visitors, who were let off the hook a minute later when Callum Howe had the ball in the net. That didn’t stand however as the referee blew for a foul in the buildup.

20-year-old midfielder Olly Green struck a wicked shot in the 43rd minute, which saw Bycroft diving wide to push away, before Kouhyar’s header deflected out.

Davies could’ve struck a brace on the turn of the half, driving forward towards the area but hitting over on the edge. In the 49th minute.

York continued to own the game in large majorities for the second period too.

Alex Woodyard’s delivery in the 57th minute saw Howe’s connection glance just wide of the mark as pressure continued.

Substitute John-Lewis and defender Howe combined in the 68th minute with ‘The Shop’ found at the back post, however the forward couldn’t convert.

The captain had further chances to top up City’s two-goal advantage in the 79th and 81st minute, however the two-goal cushion remained.

Oxford’s slither of hope could’ve come in the form of a free-kick in a good spot in the 88th minute, however substitute Nya Kirby saw his weak effort blocked away.

City next play Maidenhead United on the road on Saturday, November 25th.

YORK CITY: Sykes-Kenworthy, Fallowfield ©, Cordner, Davies, Akinyemi (54’ John-Lewis ©), Kouhyar (72’ Kennedy), Howe, Burgess, Woodyard, Latty-Fairweather, Green (72’ Dyson).

UNUSED SUBS: Watson, Siziba.

OXFORD CITY: Bycroft, Coyle, Sanderson, McEachran, McQueen (69’ Williams-Bushell), Roberts (46’ Kirby), Smith (86’ Ofosu), Carroll ©, Latrell Humphrey-Ewers, Kpekwa, Moore.

UNUSED SUBS: Miccio, Kirby, Fleet, Williams-Bushell.

ATTENDANCE: 3,678 (58 Oxford City supporters).