Match Report | York City 2-1 Chesterfield

Image by Matthew Appleby

The Minstermen won 2-1 against Chesterfield at the LNER Community Stadium against Vanarama National League champions Chesterfield on Good Friday.

Maz Kouhyar and Dipo Akinyemi notched second half goals to come from behind and seal three points, after Joe Quigley’s sixth minute opener.

Adam Hinshelwood made one change to the side which beat Bromley, with Callum Howe coming in to replace Will Smith.

Akinyemi looked to have replicated his long-rang heroics at home in the 4th minute, but the assistant referee ruled his spectacular out.

Joe Quigley broke the deadlock after just six minutes for the hosts, tapping in at the back post to give Spireites the lead.

Rory Watson put a stop to James Berry in the 21st minute, being on the spot to save his short before Cal Howe cleared.

Another save was produced a minute later, keeping City in the tie, when Quigley’s header from a handful of yards was pounced on by Watson.

Dan Batty sent a delightful long ball from the back, and over the top, for Akinyemi in the 29th minute. The forward held off the defender before hitting wide.

Kouhyar saw a shot blocked in the 37th minute, after Billy Chadwick’s slicing ball enabled him to get forward.

The half, and game, was however overshadowed by the serious incident involving Ollie Banks and Thierry Latty-Fairweather.

In the 43rd minute, Latty-Fairweather landed dangerously on his neck following an arial duel.

Following the delay, Watson was on hand again to deny Berry who had evaded the offside trap for a one-on-one.

City started the second half on the front foot. Chadwick had a 47th minute shot saved away at the near post by Ryan Boot.

Chesterfield then registered back-to-back chances through Quigley and Dobra, with the latter saved again by Watson.

An equaliser was struck in the 54th minute through Kouhyar. Akinyemi slid through the winger, who took and touch and dispatched into the top corner.

The assister turned goal scorer in the 71st minute – a goal which would prove enough for three City points.

Akinyemi slowed down on the ball, proceeded to step over before leathering a pinpoint left-footed strike through Boot’s near post.

A victory has seen City move five points above the drop zone.

YORK CITY: Watson, Fallowfield, Akinyemi, Kouhyar (83’ John-Lewis), Howe ©, Batty, Chadwick (83’ McLaughlin), Amos, Hunt, Latty-Fairweather (45+11’ Fishburn), Armstrong.

UNUSED SUBS: Sykes-Kenworthy, Siziba.

CHESTERFIELD: Boot, Horton (83’ Mandeville), Naylor, Grimes ©, Oldaker, Dobra (89’ Cook), Berry, King, Palmer, Quigley, Banks (86’ Hobson).

UNUSED SUBS: Harley, Jones.

ATTENDANCE: 7,571 (2,185 Chesterfield supporters)