Match Report | York City 2-2 Solihull Moors

The Minstermen drew 2-2 against Solihull Moors in the Vanarama National League on Saturday afternoon.

City made several changes to Tuesday night’s side that lost 4-2 to Barnet, with Tyler Cordner, Paddy McLaughlin, Olly Dyson and Lenell John-Lewis returning.

An end-to-end opening 15 minutes saw both teams looking to understand one and other, with no real clear-cut chances of note as both sides worked it well in their respective spells.

Solihull began to edge possession as the Minstermen stood firm defensively, rarely being troubled by the visitors in the opening thirty minutes.

Dipo Akinyemi drew a smart save out of Moors ‘keeper Tommy Simpkin in the 33rd minute when Thierry Latty-Fairweather drove in-wards from the left to tee up the striker, who turned inside the area and struck his shot low towards the nearside.

The Minstermen grew further into the game after Solihull kept large percentages of the ball.

Again, down the left-hand flank, Latty-Fairweather knocked it inwards towards Paddy McLaughlin who picked out Akinyemi within the area again, but the shot wasn’t as clear cut this time and was blocked out by the Moors’ defence.

City took took the lead through left-back Latty-Fairweather in the 43rd minute.

Akinyemi fed through Ryan Fallowfield down the right-hand side, he looked to pick out Lenell John-Lewis but that bounced back to Fallowfield on the bi-line who then sent it further across for Latty-Fairweather to sweep into the net.

Andy Whing’s side levelled the game straight after the interval when Callum Maycock beat the Minstermen defenders to the ball inside the penalty area, prodding it past Ryan Whitley.

Substitute, and birthday boy, Maziar Kouhyar unlocked the Moors’ defence in the 58th minute as he fed through Akinyemi, however the striker’s touch evaded him and the rushing Simpkin gathered well.

The Moors took the lead in the 67th minute when Josh Kelly latched onto a Joseph Newton set-piece from the left, send it looping it up and into the far side of the net.

City struck again in the 79th minute through birthday boy Kouhyar after Olly Dyson won a free-kick down the right.

Kouhyar whipped the dead ball in, and met the subsequent clearance, before running inwards and stroking the ball home low on his left foot.

Substitute Zanda Siziba wasted no time in putting his stamp on the game, drawing a low-down routine save from his effort a minute after he come on.

Aiden Marsh’s last minute chance could’ve saw City wrap up all three points, as men overloaded to his right, but the forward went alone and struggled to find the target.

Despite good energy levels from both sides, neither team edged it in the open end-to-end exchanges.

YORK CITY: Whitley, Fallowfield, Cordner, McLaughlin, Dyson, Akinyemi, John-Lewis © (81’ Marsh), Howe, Woodyard (56’ Kouhyar), Latty-Fairweather (86’ Siziba), Smith.

UNUSED SUBS: Watson, Kennedy.

SOLIHULL MOORS: Simpkin, Clarke, Newton, Osbourne © (50’ Labadie), Morrison, Maycock, Beck, Kelly (82’ Stevens), Mafuta, Stearman, Craig.

UNUSED SUBS: Brogan, Barratt, Riley.

ATTENDANCE: 3,940 (125 Solihull Moors supporters.)