Match Report | York City Ladies 0-2 Stockport County

The Minsterbelles are defeated at Haxby Road by fourth placed Stockport County.

Following Wednesday night’s loss at home to Hull, City returned home to face Stockport.

Two second half goals were enough to help the visitors to all three points despite a battling display from York.

York named three development team players: Eve Harriott, Anna Bowman and Rosie Bell alongside RTC player Annabel Watson on the bench.

Both sides had chances early on in the game. Milly Ash fired wide in the first minute from distance before debutant Jodie Attard in the home goal made a save to deny the visitors.

After 13 minutes Jess Holder had a well hit shot taken by keeper Faye Bowness as City made a decent start to the game.

Just after the quarter of an hour mark Stockport created their best chance of the afternoon. Emily Bradshaw managed to get in behind but her strike went well wide of Attard’s goal.

Holder was again creating a chance for York from full back, Holder delivered a dangerous cross which Nikki Brown just couldn’t stretch for and Abbey Parkin came close to meeting at the back post before colliding with the upright, the right back came away unscathed.

Bradshaw threatened again for the visitors in the 40th minute, the forward whipped a ball right across the face of goal.

The final action of the first half saw City create a good opening, a well worked move ended with Holder delivering another good cross, this time Parkin got on the end of the ball heading on target but Bowness claimed.

The sides went into the break level, the hosts turned to the bench at half time, Emily Cattle who’d returned to the starting line-up was replaced by Eve Harriott with the defender getting an important 45 minutes as she continues her recovery.

City picked up where they left off in the early stages of the second half, Fliss Jones hit a half volley on target forcing Bowness into a save to her left.

In the 51st minute Stockport broke the deadlock, Bradshaw the scorer finishing from close range.

The game continued in similar fashion to the first half with very little between the two sides but the visitors had the all-important goal.

Holder again tried her luck from range in the 54th minute but again it didn’t trouble the Stockport keeper who saved.

In the 63rd minute York made their second change. Holly Findlay was replaced by Regional Talent Club player Annabel Watson, a second RTC inclusion for the first team in recent weeks.

Brown came close to an equaliser in the 75th minute, a reactive strike from the edge of the box bounced wide of the far post.

Stockport, who had not created many clear-cut chances in the second half found their second goal of the game in the 80th minute, substitute Lily Murphy got in behind the City defence and fired into the bottom corner.

In added time Murphy squandered a chance for a third for Stockport as the visitors came away with the three points condemning York to two defeats in five days.

The minsterbelles return to action next Sunday with a trip to Bradford City at Bradford Park Avenue’s Horsfall stadium, kick off 2pm.

Minsterbelles: Attard, Parkin, Cattle (Harriott), Smith, Holder, Hughes, Hardcastle, Brown, Ash, Findlay (Watson), Jones (Bowman).

Subs not used: Bell


Northallerton Town 0- 5 York City Ladies Devs

The Minsterbelles devs pick up another important three points with an away win over Northallerton.

It took 15 minutes before City managed to break the deadlock after meeting a tough Northallerton side who limited chances in the early exchanges.

Beth McLaughlin was the scorer after a quarter of an hour. York continued to push after opening the scoring but the home keeper managed to keep the score to one with a number of good saves.

Within ten minutes York added a second and third, Georgia Sutcliffe scored in the 31st minute before Ruby Watt claimed her first and York’s third in the 41st minute.

The devs defence of Kazia Walby, Summer Harvey and Eden Coles limited the hosts to very few chances in front of goal.

Another RTC player Ruby Shaw stepped up to good effect playing in midfield and not looking out of place as City continued to dictate play.

Within a minute of the second half Watt scored her second and York’s fourth. The forward’s third came in the 55th minute.

Having put themselves into a substantial lead, an injury forcing York to play with ten players for the final 15minutes didn’t change the complexion of the afternoon.

Northallerton did continue to push to change the scoreline. Becky Sidwell in the City goal made an important double save to maintain the clean sheet and help the Minsterbelles devs to another three points.

The devs are away again next Sunday with a trip to Huntington Rovers, kick off 2pm.