Match Report | York City Ladies 0-3 Barnsley

There was little between the two sides in the opening ten minutes as neither team managed to take control.

In the 13th minute Barnsley drew first blood, Pierrepont beat Becky Sidwell with her strike from the edge of the box.

A minute later Teagan Sorokan had an effort from distance but the defender’s strike was off target. That being City’s first shot of the afternoon.

York created their best chance of the first half in the 20th minute. Alice Hughes ran unopposed into the box, the midfielder tried to lob the Barnsley keeper but her effort just lacked the height to beat the Barnsley number one and equalise.

From the midway point in the first half the visitors began enjoying more pressure and began testing Sidwell in the home goal more frequently.

In the 24th minute Sidwell was at full stretch to save before she was again sharp tipping Nat Shaw’s shot around the post.

After the hour mark City began to have more of the game, in the 36th minute Milly Ash shot just wide of the upright after a well put together move.

Sidwell again came to York’s aid in the 37th minute, the keeper denied Pierrepont from scoring hers and Barnsley’s second.

Barnsley however, doubled their advantage on the stroke of half time. Marsden managed to work space in the box before firing into the far bottom corner putting the visitors two up at the break.

York made a bright start to the second half, In the 53rd minute a Milly Ash cross found it’s way to Jess Holder inside the right edge of the box, Holder couldn’t keep her strike on target as it went over.

On the hour mark York came close again, Jess Heald did well down the left before picking out Ash with her cross, Ash like Holder couldn’t keep her effort down.

Half time substitute Holly Findlay came close in the 62nd minute against her former side, the forward flicked a header wide after Rebecca Jeffels picked her out with a cross.

In the 64th minute Barnsley added their third, Marsden with her second of the game after Pierrepont picked her out in the centre of the box.

The final two chances of note went the visitors way in the 71st and 78th minutes respectively, Sidwell initially denied Marsden from getting her hattrick before Pierrepont drove forward in the 78th minute and shot wide from distance.

Another disappointing result for the Minsterbelles who came unstuck against another high flying opposition, a side again expected to challenge at the top end of the table come the end of the season.

City return to the LNER Community Stadium next Sunday, Norton & Stockton the visitors for a 2pm Kick off. Tickets can be purchased here:

Minsterbelles: Sidwell, Jeffels, Cattle, Sorokan, Heald (Patterson), Hughes, Brown, Hardcastle, Ash, Holder (Fredericksen), Sellars (Findlay).