Match Report | York City Ladies 0-3 Norton & Stockton Ancients

The Minsterbelles defeated in second outing at the LNER Community Stadium in front of 401 spectators.

A Bianca Owens 30-yard free kick and a brace from Sophie Tierney helped the visitors to victory leapfrogging City in the league table.

With games being called off due to frozen pitches, City were on the positive side of an early pitch inspection meaning the game went ahead.

York were fast out the blocks, Nikki Brown met a Milly Ash corner with her head but the flicked attempt was wide of the target in the first minute.

After being handed a first start since returning to the club Holly Findlay was a threat leading the line for City forcing another corner in the opening ten minutes with York pushing for an early goal.

Brown had her second effort of the afternoon in the 13th minute, the captain wasn’t far away with her shot which was wide of the upright.

The visitors created their first chance of the game in the 18th minute. Owens engineered the opportunity for herself before Becky Sidwell saved the shot at her near post.

Three minutes later Ash delivered a dangerous ball underneath the crossbar but Rachel Chisnall did well to catch under pressure.

In the 24th and 25th minutes respectively Brown had two more attempts on goal, the first, a curling strike was caught by the keeper before another well hit shot went wide of the post, it was beginning to feel like the first goal was coming for the hosts.

On the stroke of the half hour mark Elisha Hardcastle came very close to finding the opener. Brown was beaten to the ball as she burst through from midfield by the keeper, Hardcastle picked up the loose ball and lobbed her shot toward goal but the effort had too much elevation and landed on the roof of the net.

In the 31st minute Alice Hughes found space in the 18-yard box after Rebecca Jeffels played her in, the midfielder had her shot deflected behind for a corner. From the corner Hughes got on the end of the cross forcing Chisnall into a good save to parry the header away.

Norton’s second chance of the game came in the 39th minute, Shannon Reed got free at the back post but she couldn’t keep her shot down.

Buoyed by their previous effort In the 45th minute Norton were pushing again. Hughes was on hand however to make a vital intervention in the City penalty area, a superb last ditch tackle denied an almost certain goal. The resulting corner came back off the bar from Tierney’s effort before York cleared off the line.

The sides went into the break level. It wouldn’t be long before the deadlock was broken, Norton did so in the 58th minute. Owens produced a moment of magic firing a free kick into the top corner from 30-yards out.

On the hour mark Sidwell was equal to Reed’s shot from eight yards out as the visitors looked for a quick second.

In the 69th minute Findlay whipped in a dangerous ball which bounced all the way through narrowly missing Hardcastle at the back post who couldn’t stretch enough to reach it.

Norton doubled their advantage in the 75th minute, Tierney converted Erin Boyle’s cross from the left-hand side.

Ten minutes later Norton added their third, Tierney her second, a smart turn in the box saw the Norton player in a brilliant position before she found the bottom corner with her strike.

The final chance of the afternoon went York’s way, again Hughes with a good header which drew another save from Chisnall keeping her clean sheet in stoppage time at the end of the game.

A fourth straight league defeat for the Minsterbelles who return to the road for a trip to Stockport County next Sunday, kick off 2pm, the final game before the Christmas break.


Minsterbelles: Sidwell, Smith (Patterson), Cattle, Sorokan, Jeffels, Harriott (Bowman), Hughes, Hardcastle, Brown, Ash (Sellars), Findlay (Frederiksen).

Subs not used: Eustance.