Match Report | York City Ladies 1-4 Chorley

The Minsterbelles fell to back-to-back defeats at Haxby Road following a 1-4 loss against Chorley.

Despite going into half time level at 1-1 Chorley managed to pull away in the second half with two goals in two minutes condemning City to defeat.

York welcomed former York RTC graduate Peyton Henderson for her debut for the first team after joining on a dual registration with Everton.

The visitors made a fast start to proceedings, after just six minutes Jess Gillin managed to get through, she rounded Henderson, with the whole goal to aim at the forward miscued her effort and struck the upright before City cleared.

Chorley came close again hitting the woodwork for the second time just one minute later, this time it was the crossbar coming to York’s aid. Laura Walker’s well hit strike came back off the face of the bar from the edge of the box.

In the 14th minute Chorley struck the crossbar again, this time Emma Hickson had her header denied by the bar following a corner which she met at the back post.

After surviving an early onslaught City grew into the game and enjoyed more of the ball without managing to forge any openings.

It took until the 37th minute for the hosts to have an effort on target, Jess Holder hit a powerful drive at goal forcing the keeper to save at full stretch to her left.

From the resulting corner York came agonisingly close to taking the lead, Alice Hughes managed to get a goalward touch on the ball but somehow it stayed out hitting another City player on the line.

Continuing to enjoy a good spell, City took the lead in the 39th minute, Jess Heald’s deflected cross looped over the keeper finding the far corner.

The lead didn’t last long however, as Chorley equalised a minute later, a deep free kick found its way through to an unmarked Gillian who fired into the corner to level.

In stoppage time at the end of the first half captain Nikki Brown almost caught the keeper out with a cross which just went over the target before Holder caught a half volley well forcing a save from the keeper.

York had the first effort of the second half in the 46th minute Heald tried her luck from distance but her shot was off target.

In the 47th minute the visitors completed their comeback, Gillin again the scorer profiting from a defensive mix-up to turn the game on its head.

Brown came agonisingly close to an equaliser for York in the 58th minute, the captain engineered an opening for herself before sliding the shot narrowly wide of the far post.

It was Brown again who had a good chance for the hosts, her volley from inside the box failed to hit the target with York pushing for a leveller.

Chorley then hit City with a sucker-punch, two goals in two minutes put the visitors out of sight. Sophie Rotheram took advantage of a loose ball which broke the way of the forward on the edge of the box. Gillin completed her hattrick, the striker was played in behind and managed to find the back of the net via the post to put Chorley 1-4 up.

Henderson made a smart save in the 79th minute to prevent Chorley extending their lead, Gillin again with the attempt, a smart save before Gillin fired the rebound over.

In stoppage time Henderson again came to the rescue for York denying Hickson with an impressive save.

City heads didn’t drop as they continued to battle although the damage had been done. The Minsterbelles are back in action for their final home game of the season next Sunday, Durham Cestria the visitors to Haxby Road, kick off 2pm.


Minsterbelles: Henderson, Parkin (Jones), Cattle, Smith, Heald, Hughes, Hardcastle IBowman), Brown, Holder, Findlay (Sellars), Ash.

Subs not used: Fredericksen, Harriott.