York City Ladies Weekly Round-Up

By Charlie Hopper

Here is a rundown on how the York City Ladies teams got on over the weekend.

First Team

York City Ladies made the trip North to take on Middlesbrough U23’s in the Quarter Final of the County Cup. Steph Turnbull’s side made a strong start to the game and had an early chance through Elisha Hardcastle, but the midfielder saw her close range shot saved. The MinsterBelles were then on the back foot when the Boro winger broke clear and raced into the box before seeing her shot rattle the outside of the post. The deadlock was broken in the ninth minute when Nina Howell was brought down in the area. Dani Nanga stepped up and smashed the ball past the keeper.

Boro came fighting back and went close in the 17th minute, but their winger fired just wide of the post. Milly Ash came close to adding a second for the MinsterBelles in the 34th minute when she whipped in a dangerous free kick only for it to be spilled and eventually cleared.

The home side, in search of a leveller, came out after the break on the front foot. Their striker broke clear in the 61st minute but her shot was comfortably saved by Becky Sidwell. She was called into action just minutes later when she made a smart save after a header was flicked towards goal. As the tie headed into the final 10 minutes, the MinsterBelles were presented with a glorious opportunity to put the game to bed when Ella Duffield was fouled in the area. Nanga, looking to double her tally, saw her penalty well saved. They didn’t have to wait long to find the second goal and in the 86th minute Kelly Garcia smashed the ball home after the ball wasn’t dealt with from the corner. The final action of the match came in the form of a third for the MinsterBelles, with Faye Singleton prodding home from close range to round off a dominant afternoon for Turnbull’s side.

The MinsterBelles have two games this week, beginning at Garforth Town (LS25 2PF) as they travel to take on Leeds United. For those supporters making the trip on Wednesday night, it’s £5 for Adults with U16’s free. Parking is available and there is a clubhouse with a bar serving food and drinks. Please note it is cash only.

Development Team

The Devs swapped league for county cup action making the short trip to Guisborough. They came up against a well organised Guisborough team. On a sticky pitch it took time for either side to find their feet with much of the play occurring in midfield. But as the game developed the Devs were dominant as they created several chances and only some resolute defending by Guisborough kept the score level.

35 minutes in, the Devs pressure paid when Karli Smith received the ball on the edge of the penalty area, created half a yard and placed the ball into the bottom corner of the Guisborough goal.

Whilst the Devs hit the woodwork, the score remained the same until half time. A change of personal was made during the break which saw Caroline Kilkenny return to playing for the Devs after injury.

The second half saw Guisborough try to impose themselves on the game but once again the Devs took charge and continued to limit Guisborough to a few long-range shots which Amelia Lydiatt dealt with comfortably.

On 60 minutes another product of the ETC system, Sophie Tomlinson, made her Devs debut stepping up from the u23.

Whilst the Devs were dominant, they were unable to break down the defence of Guisborough and the game finished 1-0 to the Devs.

The Devs are back at home on Sunday, as they welcome Wakefield AFC Women in the League Cup, 2pm kick-off


York City Ladies U23’s travelled away to play Catterick Village Roses for the first time this season.  The starting line-up saw a debut being handed to new signing Lucy Webster.  The U23’s started the game in quick fashion, with Emia Hendrickson-Eastwood opening the scoring inside two minutes. Kazia Walby captained the side and scored the team’s second goal on seven minutes with a finish from the edge of the box. Webster scored her first of the afternoon with a neat finish inside the 6-yard box on nine minutes. Katie Varley continued her fine form in recent weeks, scoring on the 16th minute. Webster added her second goal on the 27th minute, followed 10 minutes later by Varley adding her second goal of the afternoon chipping the keeper.

The start of the second half saw Varley complete her hattrick on the 48th minute. Georgia Sutcliffe continued her excellent form in front of goal by scoring a brace. Sutcliffe’s goals coming in the 71st minute and the 83rd minute. Grace Sykes had assisted three goals after beating players down the left in the first half, and she got on the scoresheet in the 72nd minute after rounding the Catterick keeper and slotting the ball in the net.  Hendrickson-Eastwood rounded off a dominant display scoring her second goal on the 87th minute.

The U23’s remain top of the league after 16 games and will next play Redcar Town Ladies Development, this Sunday, at York St. John University, 2pm kick off.