York City Ladies Weekly Round-Up

By Charlie Hopper | Images by Ian Parker

Here is a rundown on how the York City Ladies teams got on over the weekend.

First Team

York City Ladies were edged out in a five-goal thriller after Jess Mett’s strike in the 83rd minute snatched a point away from Steph Turnbull’s side.

The MinsterBelles made a promising start to the game with Milly Ash going close in the fourth minute, but her strike was straight into the side netting. Rebecca Jeffels made a crucial covering tackle in the 8th minute before she cleared a shot off the line to keep the game level. Middlesbrough Women took the lead in the 12th minute as Ellen Turnbull connected with a Mett cross to find the bottom corner. Dani Nanga then went close for the Ladies before the visitors doubled their advantage in the 28th minute. Nichole Havery latched onto a through ball from Turnbull and slotted past Becky Sidwell.In need of a way back into the game, Grace Hemmings halved the deficit with a header in the 37th minute. She connected with a corner from Ash and left Wareham with no chance. On the stroke of half-time, Ash went close again but this time her strike was just wide of the far post.

The second half started in a positive fashion for the MinsterBelles as Sophie Tinson connected with a dangerous cross, but her shot was straight at Wareham. Sidwell was called into action in the 52nd minute when she got down quickly to save a header. The game was level again in the 54th minute when Hemmings turned provider. She whipped in a ball from out wide which reached Faye Singleton and the midfielder turned and found the back of the net. Turnbull brought on fresh legs with Ruby Gore and Nina Howell coming on, but it was the visitors who were creating the better chances. In the 72nd minute, both Hannah Collins and Emily Cattle made vital blocks before Mett fired wide in the 82nd minute. Despite putting in a resolute defensive performance, the visitors found a way past Sidwell with five minutes to play. Mett took aim from outside the area and found the bottom corner. The MinsterBelles pushed hard for an equaliser but struggled to find a way through the Middlesbrough defence.

The MinsterBelles welcome 11th place Chester Le Street Town to York Sport Stadium on Sunday, YO10 5NA, £5 Standard and U11’s Free. Cash and Card payment available.

Development Team

The Devs travelled to top of the table Millmoor for a first versus third match. The game started at a high tempo with both teams cancelling each other out. Half way through the first-half an excellent through ball let Emia Hendrickson – Eastwood drive at the Millmoor defence and she calmly finish passed the keeper. The exchanges continued with Millmoor playing some nice football leading to a few half chances. The Devs doubled their lead when Ruby Watt scored making it 19 for the season so far.

Millmoor than showed why they are top of the league as they began to dominate using the pace of their wide players resulting in them pulling one back shortly before half time. The Devs made a tactical change and a substitution at half time seeing Jasmine Sanders make her Devs debut.

The change worked and whilst Millmoor continued to dominate possession they could not breach the Devs defence. As they continued to press Millmoor became more direct and a long bouncing ball was glanced on leading to the equaliser.

The goal did not demoralise the Devs and in the last five minutes could have won the game after Ruby Gibbs broke up an attack on the edge of the Devs penalty area. Gibbs drove forward with Ruby Watt, Molly Loughton and Amy Kennedy all covering about 90 yards to support. The counterattack ended up with Millmoor throwing their bodies in the way blocking the shots as the ball rebounded about in their penalty.

The Dev’s are on the road on Sunday as they visit Farsley Celtic Juniors Ladies.


The U23’s travelled north on Sunday to face a T.I.B.S side that had won their last 2 games.  A great start saw the U23’s go 1-0 up on the 3rd minute.  Maya Baxter-McPhie drove down the left wing beating two players before delivering a cross to Olivia Sellars, who brought the ball down on her chest and struck her shot into the bottom corner.  This was added to on the 7th minute when Beatrice Matique fired a shot into the top right corner from the edge of the box.  On the 14th minute, the U23’s scored the 3rd goal of the game.  Lucy Cooper drove down the right wing beating 2 T.I.B.S players before finding Katie Varley on the edge of the box.  Varley struck the ball right footed into the top corner.  On the 21st minute, Varley got on the scoresheet again.  After receiving a pass from Matique, Varley took her first touch towards goal and with her second touch, struck the ball into the top right corner from 22 yards out.  The 23’s went into the half time break four goals to the good.

The second half saw the U23’s, and the league’s, top scorer Georgia Sutcliffe score a hat trick and secure a 7-0 win.  The first of Sutcliffe’s goals came in the 54th minute.  Cooper beat the T.I.B.S defender before crossing the ball for Sutcliffe to score from 6 yards out.  On the 66th minute, it was once again the combination of Cooper and Sutcliffe.  Cooper this time setting the ball back to the edge of the box and Sutcliffe struck her shot into the top left corner from 20 yards out.  The hattrick was secured in the 80th minute.  Julia Carro Goodwill won the ball from the T.I.B.S player before finding Sutcliffe.  From 25 yards out, Sutcliffe fired a shot with her right foot into the top corner.

The 23’s are on the road again this coming Sunday as they face Redcar Athletic Ladies.