York City Ladies Weekly Round-Up

By Charlie Hopper | Images by Ian Parker

Here is a rundown on how the York City Ladies teams got on over the weekend.

First Team

York City Ladies returned to York Sport Stadium for the first time since Sunday 12th November following a long list of postponed games. The visitors Stockport County Ladies made a strong start to the game, but it was Sophie Tinson who went close in the 6th minute. She took a shot from the edge of the area, but it was deflected wide for a corner. Levi Rathburn also saw her shot deflected in the 10th minute before the visitors broke the deadlock in the 14th minute. Em Bradshaw stole the ball off Hannah Collins and smashed the ball past Becky Sidwell.

In need of an immediate response, Jess Holder cut inside and took a shot from distance, but it drifted well wide of the goal. In the 35th minute, skipper Nicki Brown was threaded through on goal, but her shot was drilled straight at Faye Bowness.

The second half started in similar fashion with County on the front foot and had a great chance to double their lead when Kenzie Bentley was put through on goal, but she struggled to get a shot away. Tinson went close again before Sidwell was called into action in the 55th minute when she got down quickly to push away a dangerous shot.

Rathburn then had a glorious chance in the 61st minute but she watched her shot go wide of Sidwell’s goal. The MinsterBelles shot stopper was in action again just a minute later when she was forced to tip the ball wide as it looked to be heading into the back of the net. Steph Turnbull made changes midway through the second half in a bid to find a way back into the game. Her side had arguably their best chance when Nicki Brown smashed a shot towards goal, only for it to be block on the line. County continued to push hard as they looked to secure the win but struggled to find a way past Sidwell in the MinsterBelles goal.

The result leaves the Ladies in 10th place in the FA Women’s National League Division One North with second place Middlesbrough visiting York Sport Stadium, YO10 5NA, £5 Standard and U11’s Free. Cash and Card payment available.

Development Team

After no game last week, the Devs hit the road making the trip to Sheffield. They got off to a fast start and for the first 20 mins majority of the game was played in the middle of the park. After this the Devs dominance began to show with Molly Loughton and Chloe Harris terrorising Sheffield’s full backs and Ellie Hairsine, Ruby Shaw and Karli Smith breaking up Sheffield’s attempts to attack. York’s first goal came mid-way through the first half when Rosie Bell crossed the ball into Ruby Watt who held it up and put it calmly into the bottom left corner. Shortly after this Ruby Watt added her second of the day when, after good work from Rosie Bell, it led to her crossing the ball for Ruby to tap in at the back post.

Sheffield changed their tactics to the longer ball, trying to get a foothold in the game but Eden Coles, Summer Harvey and Lizzie Patterson stood firm limiting them to a few long-range shots which Amelia Lydiatt dealt with comfortably. The Devs dominance continued but an outstanding performance by Sheffield’s young goalkeeper kept the score the same as they headed into the break.

The second half followed in the same vein with the Devs dominance building by the minute. The Devs third goal was a Kari Smith tap in at the back post from a corner. A few minutes later Ruby Watt scored her third and York’s fourth of the day. Watt won the ball high up the pitch, cut inside and found the bottom corner from distance. The Devs fifth Goal was a sole effort by Rosie Bell who carried the ball from her own half and then hit it into the top corner from distance. The sixth and final goal came from a great corner routine leading to Karli Smith heading in at back post.

This Sunday the Devs travel to top of the table Millmoor.


York City Ladies U23’s travelled the short distance to play Poppleton Ladies, looking to bounce back after last week’s defeat to York RI. There were three new faces welcomed into the squad before the game. Lucy Fairbank played her first game for the club, while both Sophie Tomlinson and Julia Carro Goodwill made their debuts after stepping up from the clubs U16 RTC squad.

The U23’s started the game brightly with some good passages of play from back to front but were unable to convert the chances into goals. It was Poppleton who broke the deadlock to go in front and they added a second goal soon after. A quick change in formation and four minutes after conceding, the U23’s pulled a goal back. Katie Varley won the ball and played a well weighted through ball to Olivia Sellars who slotted the ball past the on rushing Poppleton goalkeeper. Buoyed on from the first goal, the U23’s equalised five minutes after. A corner was played into the front post and ricocheted around the 6-yard box before Emia Hendrickson-Eastwood blasted the ball into the roof of the net. After a great fight back, the score was 2-2 at Half Time.

The game restarted and after a minute, the U23’s almost found themselves ahead but Hendrickson-Eastwood’s effort from outside the box flew just wide of the post. Despite another good start, it was Poppleton who went back in front from the penalty spot on the 50th minute. The U23’s battled on for the equaliser and scored from a corner taken by Maya Baxter-McPhie, which was headed towards goal by Jasmine Sanders and placed into the back of the net by Kazia Walby. On the 60th minute, some excellent play out wide saw Amy Kennedy link up with Baxter-McPhie who delivered a pinpoint cross to Sellars who volleyed home for 4-3. A fifth goal was added on the 78th minute. Some excellent link up play from both Carro Goodwill and Tomlinson before sliding the ball to Sellars on the edge of the 18-yard box who found the corner first time to secure a hat trick and the 3 points.

The U23’s make the trip North on Sunday as they take on T.I.B.S Women.